Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Antique tin from an old family barn




The barn was built around 1912 by my Great Great Grandfather. The lower level had cement walls and then it also had a wooden hay loft. When I was a kid we used to go up in the hay loft and there was a bunch or old harness for several teams of horses. It is located a few miles from my house so in the last 20 years or so it hasn't had a lot of use. Two summers ago we had a horrible storm. Lots of lightening and rain. The old barn was struck by the lightening and burned to the ground.
Left from this was the tin roof. With almost 100 years of weathering (and a little burning) the tin has such beautiful and unique patterns. I love to recycle and up cycle things and it seemed such a waste. That's when I got the idea to make hearts and stars. That has snowballed into snowmen and trees and letters. I'm sure there's a million other projects that can be done with the tin. I'm just glad I could turn a bad situation into something good. Check them all out in my store at http://www.mwestdesigns.etsy.com

No comments: